Operation Safe Stop Program
PUBLIC NOTICE: Upper Macungie Township Police Department Now Accepting Nominations for OPERATION SAFE STOP 2013-2014 School Year.
With the new school year comes one of your police department’s most important roles: protecting your children. This is a privilege that we take very seriously. We are happy to announce that we will once again be conducting OPERATION SAFE STOP, a community program designed to make your child’s bus stops safer. Through the program, residents are encouraged to nominate their child’s bus stop by sending an email to Sergeant Peter Nickischer at email@example.com. Once nominated, your child’s bus stop will be added to a list of rotating stops that are monitored by patrol officers in marked (police car with exterior emergency lights and decals) and unmarked police cars, as well as officers on foot. Officers committed to this program are instructed to:
1) Ensure the safety of children and parents at every stop.
2) Monitor the stop for school bus flashing red light violators.
3) Cite and prosecute offenders to the fullest extent of the law.
Starting in January 2013, the UMTPD took over the popular program created by the Berks-Lehigh Regional Police and expanded the program to include more stops and involve more officers. The result was an enhanced and largely successful proactive program that received accolades from Upper Macungie residents and even safe stop requests from residents in neighboring jurisdictions.
This school year, please help make this program continue to flourish and grow. Simply follow the steps below to nominate your child’s bus stop.
1) Email UMTPD Sergeant Peter Nickischer at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call him at 484-661-5911. You can also nominate stops on the department’s Facebook page: www.facebook.com/UMTPD.
2) Include your child’s bus stop location (specific addresses with street names, house numbers, etc).
3) Include specific times for your child’s stop. Time ranges are acceptable, but may affect the frequency of safe stop checks. Specific times are preferred. Failure to provide this information will result in your child’s stop being excluded.
At this time, this service is only available to those who live within the jurisdiction of the Upper Macungie Township Police Department. We typically receive numerous requests in other jurisdictions, but do not have the authority to enforce traffic laws if the stop is not in Upper Macungie Township.
Thank you to all of those who have shared positive feedback about OPERATION SAFE STOP in the past. We welcome any and all feedback and are looking forward to another successful and most importantly, SAFE school year.
Sergeant Peter Nickischer
Sgt. Peter Nickischer